List:       kde
Subject:    Widget theme updates
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-08-02 15:06:41

Since we got on SlashDot today with the widget themes and KDevelop I thought I
would give you all an update on what's going on. I spent most of this weekend
working on the widget theme designer, which is a point and click application to
let users easily design their own widget themes without coding or editing a
config file. This application customizes not only pixmaps and colors, but
gradients, scrollbar button position, slider types, arrow types, and all sorts
of other fun things. When this is done all users will be able to easily
create their own cool art and user interface styles.

Most of my effort is now on that. Since KDE is aimed at bringing everyday
casual users to Unix and Linux, it is not good enough to have these cool
features but require people to edit config files or code stuff to customize
them. Thus this designer and associated utilities are as important to me as
coding the feature itself.

You can see a screenshot of the designer as of this morning at:
http://www.jorsm.com/~mosfet/designer.gif

I hope to add a little bit more to it this week and commit it to CVS.

mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com