List:       kde
Subject:    kscd, CDDB, and krabber security
From:       Cris Wade <quade () therim ! net>
Date:       1999-07-28 5:56:33

Hi

First let me describe my setup, Slackware 4.0, KDE 1.1, and kscd.  All of
this came pre-installed on Slackware.  I then installed krabber.  ok, here
is the problem.  when I went to /opt/kde/share/apps/kscd/cddb all the
directories were set with 777 (drwxrwxrws)permision, and all the files in
those directories were given 666 (-rw-rw-rw)permision.  To me, this sounds
unsafe. My solution was to set the sticky bit (+t) on all of the
directories in /opt/kde/share/apps/kscd/cddb (rock, jazz, etc), this way,
all a user could do is to delete there own CDDB records, but noone elses.

now my question is this.  Will this cause any problems for any other
programs that you know of.  Secondly, is this a problem with all KDE
installs, or is it just a slackware specific problem.

I am not on this list, so could you dirrect you replies to my e-mail
address also.  Thanks

Cris