Why don't you just edit "startkde" to prevent kpanel from loading? ----- Original Message ----- From: Robert van der Kamp To: KDE general mailing list Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 5:46 AM Subject: Modifier keys, KPanel, Kpager, Kwm commands and more... > Hi, > > I'm using KDE 1.1.1 on RH 6.0 for about a week now. I used to work with a > (modified) > version of FVWM2, which doesn't have the looks, but is very powerful. I'm > impressed by > apps like khelp and kfm, but got irritated by the panel (it's always in the > way). > > > I have a couple of questions/requests that may already have been solved in the > 2.0 version: > > - I would like to use the super and hyper modifier keys for KDE shortcuts. More > generally > speaking, I would like KDE to support the X-Windows MOD1 through MOD5 > modifiers. > Currently I'm limited to only Shift, Control and Alt. Is this possible? > > - I would like to hide KPanel's panel completely, without the per-desktop > hide/shown state. > I like a very empty screen with a root window menu. The icons on the left > are okay, but a > standard panel eating precious pixels is not acceptable. Autohide mode is > not really useful, > since there's no position (top, bot, left or right) where the panel can be > put without getting > it popped up involuntary. I have the root window menu enabled, so there's > almost no reason > to have the panel always shown. It's nice for docking, though. > > - The panel's tiny view mode is not really supported, so it seems. Every time I > change some > (display) setting, the panel is back to normal size again. > > - The panel's desktop buttons are UGLY. (Sorry ;-). Can I get rid of them? I'm a > C++ programmer, > can I get rid of them by hacking around a bit? > > - Is it possible to have kpager to show a vertical or horizontal bar of 8 > desktops? Is it then possible > to swallow kpager into the panel as a replacement for the standard desktop > buttons? My problem > with kpager is that it is too large. The problem with the panel buttons is > that they can be relatively > small, but don't show what's going on in desktop-land. At the moment, I use > a (heavily modified) > FVWM2 pager that stretches along the left side of the screen (from top to > bottom). Its only 5 > pixels wide and shows 12 pages (desktops). It hardly takes up any screen > pixels and I always > see where my windows are. One fast click and bingo. Can't be beaten, IMO. > > - I really need keyboard shortcuts for kwm actions window-resize, > window-resize-vertically. > I don't want the interactive resize mode as is currently available, but the > actual actions (i.e. > kwm should resize the window for me). > > - I need a keyboard shortcut for next-window-this-desktop and > next-window-any-desktop > simultaneously. Is that possible? > > - Is it possible for kfm so sort the files in short-view in columns and not in > rows? Is it easy to > hack-in a couple of commands like that? Would you guys accept a patch like > that? > > - Is it possible in a kfm window to change the sort order (easily). > > - Is there a toolbar button that allows me to quickly change the view style in a > kfm window? > > - Is it possible to have kwm to place a new window simply near the mouse cursor > position, on > top of whatever other window? Smart placement mode is a bit too smart, IMO, > and I have to > 'travel' a lot to get to my new window. > > - It would be nice for the placement algorithm to optionally skip the icon area > (at the left > of the screen in my case). Maybe define it as a skip-region. This way, a new > window would > not be (automatically) be mapped on top of the icons. > > > I'm sure there's more, but this will do for now. ;-) > > Thanks, > > Robert > > > -- > Send posts to: kde@lists.netcentral.net > Send all commands to: kde-request@lists.netcentral.net > Put your command in the SUBJECT of the message: > "subscribe", "unsubscribe", "set digest on", or "set digest off" > PLEASE READ THE ARCHIVED MESSAGES AT http://lists.kde.org/ BEFORE POSTING > ********************************************************************** > This list is from your pals at NetCentral > -- Send posts to: kde@lists.netcentral.net Send all commands to: kde-request@lists.netcentral.net Put your command in the SUBJECT of the message: "subscribe", "unsubscribe", "set digest on", or "set digest off" PLEASE READ THE ARCHIVED MESSAGES AT http://lists.kde.org/ BEFORE POSTING ********************************************************************** This list is from your pals at NetCentral