List:       kde
Subject:    Modifier keys, KPanel, Kpager, Kwm commands and more...
From:       Robert van der Kamp <robnet () wxs ! nl>
Date:       1999-07-26 10:46:14

Hi,

I'm using KDE 1.1.1 on RH 6.0 for about a week now. I used to work with a
(modified)
version of FVWM2, which doesn't have the looks, but is very powerful. I'm
impressed by
apps like khelp and kfm, but got irritated by the panel (it's always in the
way).

I have a couple of questions/requests that may already have been solved in the
2.0 version:

- I would like to use the super and hyper modifier keys for KDE shortcuts. More
generally
    speaking, I would like KDE to support the X-Windows MOD1 through MOD5
modifiers.
    Currently I'm limited to only Shift, Control and Alt. Is this possible?

- I would like to hide KPanel's panel completely,  without the per-desktop
hide/shown state.
    I like a very empty screen with a root window menu. The icons on the left
are okay, but a
    standard panel eating precious pixels is not acceptable. Autohide mode is
not really useful,
    since there's no position (top, bot, left or right) where the panel can be
put without getting
    it popped up involuntary. I have the root window menu enabled, so there's
almost no reason
    to have the panel always shown. It's nice for docking, though.

- The panel's tiny view mode is not really supported, so it seems. Every time I
change some
    (display) setting, the panel is back to normal size again.

- The panel's desktop buttons are UGLY. (Sorry ;-). Can I get rid of them? I'm a
C++ programmer,
    can I get rid of them by hacking around a bit?

- Is it possible to have kpager to show a vertical or horizontal bar of 8
desktops? Is it then possible
    to swallow kpager into the panel as a replacement for the standard desktop
buttons? My problem
    with kpager is that it is too large. The problem with the panel buttons is
that they can be relatively
    small, but don't show what's going on in desktop-land. At the moment, I use
a (heavily modified)
    FVWM2 pager that stretches along the left side of the screen (from top to
bottom). Its only 5
    pixels wide and shows 12 pages (desktops). It hardly takes up any screen
pixels and I always
    see where my windows are. One fast click and bingo. Can't be beaten, IMO.

- I really need keyboard shortcuts for kwm actions window-resize,
window-resize-vertically.
    I don't want the interactive resize mode as is currently available, but the
actual actions (i.e.
    kwm should resize the window for me).

-   I need a keyboard shortcut for next-window-this-desktop and
next-window-any-desktop
    simultaneously. Is that possible?

- Is it possible for kfm so sort the files in short-view in columns and not in
rows? Is it easy to
    hack-in a couple of commands like that? Would you guys accept a patch like
that?

- Is it possible in a kfm window to change the sort order (easily).

- Is there a toolbar button that allows me to quickly change the view style in a
kfm window?

- Is it possible to have kwm to place a new window simply near the mouse cursor
position, on
    top of whatever other window? Smart placement mode is a bit too smart, IMO,
and I have to
    'travel' a lot to get to my new window.

- It would be nice for the placement algorithm to optionally skip the icon area
(at the left
    of the screen in my case). Maybe define it as a skip-region. This way, a new
window would
    not be (automatically) be mapped on top of the icons.

I'm sure there's more, but this will do for now. ;-)

Thanks,

Robert