List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Shutdown button on logout
From:       Derek <fountai () hursley ! ibm ! com>
Date:       1999-07-15 14:39:53

> > Obviously you wouldn't want to offer such an option to a regular user
> > without super user password protection, which makes it somewhat less
> > convienient.
>
> Hmm, I don't agree. Ole was speaking about home users. If you have
> KDM running, as a home user, you can configure that from console you
> may shutdown (and reboot) your systeem. I agree with Ole that many
> home users (especially Linux users) will turn off their system anyway
> after logging out, so for them it is convenient to be able to do it
> on logout instead of waiting for KDM to reappear. So if you could
> select "power off" or "reboot" at logging of, for me that would be
> handy. And I think for many other home users as well.
>
> Basically, it goes down to presenting the window you get when you
> click "Shutdown..." in KDM when you click logout in KDE.

I agree it would be useful, certainly for home users, but it needs a bit
of control. I don't use KDM and didn't know it offered a powerdown
option.

What if the workstation is in a lab or student area? Does it mean the
students can just switch the machines off as and when they want? Sounds
rather unwelcome in those circumstances.