List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Mac Menubar
From:       Adolf Koenig <rzuw001 () rz ! uni-wuerzburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-08 10:02:43

Mosfet wrote
> The current default is very much the Windows. While of course everything is
> optional I would like to get away from that. This includes adopting ideas from
> everywhere when they make sense.
>  I am interested in designing the best UI for KDE.

How about looking in DCE? There are some nice features too, that I'm
really missing in KDE (but I must say, that at the Moment I still have to use KDE-1.0,
maybe in newer versions it's already done):

 1) There is a 'home-session', that is, a new session contains only the applications
      I explicitly declared (for that Autostart seems sufficient), not all those apps
      I happened to use the last time.
      Could be easily done, if the logout process would ask wether he should prepare
      the session or not, or if it could be configured not to prepare the actual screen
      as the next session-layout.
      This would by the way speed up the logout and the login process.

  2) Much more often than having 5-10 different applications running, I have
      5-10 windows of the same application, e.g. terminal windows to different
      computers. In KDE (at least in KDE 1.0)  Alt-Tab behaves as in Windows (I think),
       showing the names of the application-windows one at a time and thus giving
       no signifikant advantage over the taskbar, where I can see all the names at
       once. Instead in DCE with Alt-Tab the whole next window is popping up, so
       that you can pick the wanted window without error, even if all have the
       same title.

  3) Not a DCE-special, but configuring the speed of the double-click wouldn't be bad.

Greetings

A.Koenig