List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Mac Menubar
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-07-08 6:04:22

> > > Quiz: How many maximized windows do you see at the same time?>
> > None.  I never maximize.  CLOSE to maximize, sometimes, but there
> > are usually other windows open that I like to get to/see easily -

Same situation here -- we're not in DOS-mode are we?
Most kind of work actually needs to have several windows open at the same
time, to compare, drag and drop etc. ....

> The current default is very much the Windows. While of course everything is
> optional I would like to get away from that. This includes adopting ideas from
> everywhere when they make sense. I hate the default feel and am making sure all
> the cool stuff for KDE2.0 is a lot more innovative than Windows. This includes
> supporting Mac style interaction.

But the menu-bar at the top **SUX** really!!  It's nothing but wasted time to
move the pointer that far up! When this feature was implemented I was very
curious to give it a try ("*wow* Mac-feeling -- How long have you been
looking forward to this moment") but within a week I learned to hate the
menubar at the top! It's no innovation at all IMO -- it's a HUGE step back!
First I thought that it would be a big  advantage to spare the wasted place of
several inactive menus on the screen by putting a global menubar at the top
instead.  But a global menubar slows down your speed so much that
the loss of place that you enjoy currently  becomes absolutely nothing that
would be worthy to be mentioned!
I personally want KDE not to be a Windows-copy-cat either.
(I think it is already too muchconcerning look & feel). But a global menubar
would not be any advantage at all and makes *NO* sense.

In addition: Most UNIX-apps *have* a menubar inside -- so it would look
& feel kind of weird&confusing  to have such different approaches on the
 desktop at the same time!

> > Ya'll can do whatever you want as options, but if something like
> > these Mac-like ideas became anything other than one of a number of
> > options (I very much like my present layout without any Mac-isms
> > and minimal windoze-isms), then I would have to switch to Gnome
> > or other.

Yepp, I feel the same (at least concerning the menubar ;) and understand you --
I would be *VERY* much annoyed, too if a global menubar would become
the default!
BUT your  "emergency-step-to-GNOME-proposal"  would be too childish, non?
;-)

Torsten

PLEASE continue these look&feel-related discussions on kde-look@kde.org
Thank you!

Torsten

PS: I vote for a single-click being default-implementation ...