List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Separate configurations...
From:       Adolf Koenig <rzuw001 () rz ! uni-wuerzburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-06 9:52:20

Kim wrote

> I run a few different machines here concurrently, all sharing my home
> directory over NFS, I would like some way to have different configs for
> the different machines... The problem lies in the fact that $HOME/.kde
> seems to be hardcoded in as the user config directory whereas I would
> prefer some method of specifying the config directory via an environment
> variable (say $KDE_HOME)...
>
> Can this be done...? Has anyone else found a work around...?

In the file where kde is started (xinitrc or xsession or whatever):
Can't you just build a link, depending on the machinetype,
roughly sketched for ksh:
     machinetype=`hostname`
     rm homedirectory/.kde  # remove old link
     ln  homedirectory/.kde_$machinetype  homedirectory/.kde
     startkde
 Of course you would have to prepare the kde-directories for the different types
 by copying once the .kde-tree (or subtree, if you want to keep parts in common
 across the machines)

 greetings

 A.Koenig