List:       kde
Subject:    Re: /opt or /usr/local [Was: A couple of kde-related problems]
From:       Adolf Koenig <rzuw001 () rz ! uni-wuerzburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-06 8:33:31

 What deb wrote should have been said in the beginning of the thread
 'a couple of kde-related problems' .
 It would have made clear in the beginning what the point really is:

 If the kde-package is put into one specific directory, be
 it /opt/kde, /usr/kde or somethingelse/kde then new versions are easily
 manageable, old versions easily saved or removed. This makes
 the life of the system-manger easier and  t h i s  is really the point.
 It doesn't matter, if you like putting it in /usr/kde and establish
 a link /opt/kde. This is only a matter of taste. But it may be necessary
 if you first put it in /opt/kde and afterwards move it to /usr/kde
 without recompiling the package (depends of the software-programmer,
 and the necessity may vary from one application to the other)

 Of course /usr/kde is also in /usr, but 'putting it in /usr'  means
 the traditional method of putting executables in /usr/bin, libraries in /usr/lib etc,
 thus mixing it with libraries and binaries of many other packages.
 So it is soon impossible without a package manager to keep track
 of 'which file belongs to which package'. So it is virtually impossible
 to remove a package without difficulties, if you don't use a package
 manageing system.  (Even with a package manager it may
 be impossible, because I also know one who doesn't contain a 'remove'
 function. This was 'good usage' since many years of certain
 big hardware-companies, and I always suspected it was on purpose,
 because unused, diskspace-wasting software packages too promote
 selling of  (then very expensive) new disks.)

 Of course, if the executables are distributed across many directories
 /opt/package1 .... until /usr/local/packagex  you have to extend the PATH-variable
 to find them automatically.

 greetings

 A.Koenig

deb wrote_