List:       kde
Subject:    Re: A couple of kde-related problems
From:       dep <dep () westnet ! com>
Date:       1999-07-03 20:45:15

On Sat, 03 Jul 1999, Jeremy Blosser wrote:

|There's a lot more to RPM than just a handy distribution method.  If
|distribution was all anyone cared about, .tar.gz would work fine.  RPM is
|about keeping track of what you install and what depends on what and what
|file belongs to which package, etc.

yes, indeed. many of us are capable of figuring out what we have on
our machines, and of employing the tools that enable us to find out
which file belongs to what. to be at the mercy of an rpm database is
folly indeed, imho, though of course you are free to do whatever
works best for you. thank you for answering my question.

|As for the Red Hat comment, please be careful to be honest.  As has been
|mentioned here before, this is primarily an issue with the FSSTND, not Red
|Hat.

no, actually, it is not, your pitiful accusation of dishonesty
notwithstanding. kde by design wants to be in /opt, despite a couple
of early documents still on the kde server which state that the code
goes to /usr/local, which it no longer does without user
intervention. this will be made manifestly apparent at the end of the
month with the release of kde-1.2, which will cause howls that will
make those from rh-6.0 users who have tried to compile and install
1.1.1 seem like mewls by comparison.

this from the developer list just two days ago:

"As a packager, my thoughts go even beyond this simple point.
First, the KDE 1.1.1 official RPMs work just fine on Redhat 6.0; just
uninstall all their crap and run an install of all the files off the
KDE FTP site -- it's been working fine for me, outside the few
standard bugs.  If needed, you can --rebuild to get any glibc2.1
issues worked out.

"[soap box mode on]
Now, what I disagree with is Redhat's decision to use /usr as the prefix
for all their packages; the KDE team decided a long time ago to use
/opt/kde, and 3rd party packagers like myself (http://kde.tdyc.com) have
packaged dozens of apps using this same prefix and schema, keeping with
the faith.  Now along comes 6.0 and they decide to make the KDE prefix
something else -- what good did you just accomplish, Redhat? A
prerelease version was shipped and now even those people can't easily
upgrade to the new official packages. RANT RANT RANT.

"On my end, I am refusing to support their /usr scheme directly.
All my packages (well, at least most - I try) are defaulted to
/opt/kde but can be relocated to /usr if the person wishes.  However,
most people who contact me (and I see on the newsgroups, at a recent
InstallFest, etc) I recommend the uninstall Redhat rpms and install
the official stuff.  Oh look, problems solved. Humph.
[soap box mode off]

"I feel that the core packaging team stick with how they've been doing
it, and Redhat's scheme be damned.  Who runs KDE anyway, us or them? "

|Of course Red Hat could choose to ignore the [generally excepted as a good
|standard] FSSTND -- and then they'd get bashed for not complying with
|standards.

interestingly, none of the distributions that *do* put kde in /opt
has been bashed for it. red hat does what it does because red hat has
an interest in promoting gnome, in much the same way that red hat
makes microsoft-like alliances with hardware vendors to produce
drivers and software not for linux but for red hat linux. fact is,
red hat would sell all of linux down the river if there were an extra
dollar to be made by so doing.

--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.