List:       kde
Subject:    Re: RH6 and Zip drive
From:       Steve S <steve973 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       1999-05-19 19:05:51

> The difference between insmod and modprobe is that
> modprobe is smart
> about checking module dependencies.  It will load
> additional modules
> if necessary.

So, then you'd recommend that I use modprobe instead
of insmod?

>  > When I issued a "modprobe ppa" things seemed
>  > to be ok, and I could access the drive, but then
>  > things seemed to get corrupted on my system.
>
> What do you mean "seemed to get corrupted?"  Do you
> mean files were
> corrupted?

When I tried to unmount the zip disk, it gave me an
error (I'm not sure which one offhand) and when I
rebooted, it hung until I pressed CTRL-C.  When it
continued, some of the services failed to start and
neither insmod nor modprobe would work anymore.

> If you want to avoid errors, don't, I repeat, DO
> NOT, play with the
> development kernels.  They're very much bleeding
> edge and contain lots
> of alpha level stuff.  They're available for people
> who want to help
> track down bugs.  Stick to the release kernels.
> 2.2.x.  The
> latest is 2.2.9.

On the contrary, 2.3.3 was released on 16-May-99, and
you can check for yourself at:

http://kernel.stuph.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.3/

Steve