List:       kde
Subject:    Re: RH5.1 compile problem
From:       Adolf Koenig <rzuw001 () rz ! uni-wuerzburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-12 15:44:30

>                                                                   ...           - I'm assuming
> this, maybe I'm wrong! - it is not possible to run KDE while KDE is
> compiling and installing.

I'm assuming you a r e wrong

> If I have, say, kdesupport or kdelibs
> compiling, and I do a "make install", overwriting the old versions of
> the binaries with new ones, I would expect horrible things to happen.

 I would expect that too

> In the past I have treated KDE like any core libraries: I reduce the
> runlevel and carefully compile things step by step. I've not had a
> mishap yet, and don't want to take any risks. So, it does take me an
> evening to upgrade KDE, and loosing an evening's work is not something I
> want to do twice.

Now I can feel with you, but I don't think it's necessary, to do like that.
I'm compiling and installing kde-1.1.1 all the time into a new directory
while running and using kde-1.0  in another. I can assure you, that the running
kde was never disturbed bei my compilations. I use the distribution-tarfiles for
installation. I don't know how it is with  rpm, but if rpm is worth a penny it will not
disturb a running library during installation without your explicitly wishing so.

In the contrary, I sometimes suspect, whether the configuring and compiling
process is misguided by finding and using older versions (what I don't hope)
because until know I didn't manage to compile and install a working kde-1.1.1
but kde-1.0 is still alive and working.

Greetings

Adolf