List:       kde
Subject:    Re: FHS v2.0  on "/opt" (was Re: KDe 1.1.1 for RedHat 6.0)
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-05-10 4:16:45

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Duncan Haldane wrote:

> "/Opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
> packages. A package to be installed in /opt shall locate its static
> files in /opt/<package>/, etc.etc .... "

Our interpretation of this has _always_ been that anything that comes with
Red Hat Linux is _not_ add-on software.  Add-on software is software that
arrives from third-party vendors.  This is what goes in /opt.  Local
software is that downloaded and/or installed by a system administrator.
It could be installed in /usr/local or /opt, at their discretion.

This is why we don't install anything in either of these locations as part
of our base disc install.  We want users to have the possibility of having
these directories on completely separate filesystems that never need
mounting during Red Hat installations and upgrades, thus avoiding any
chance that we might damage or overwrite some local-installed software.

Thus KDE will remain installed in /usr when it arrives on a Red Hat CD; if
you install it yourself or receive it from some other vendor it is
perfectly logical to put it in /opt or /usr/local.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.