List:       kde
Subject:    Re: changin default viewer
From:       aguelzow () math ! concordia ! ab ! ca
Date:       1999-04-30 15:34:31

On 30 Apr, Derek wrote:
>> > I would like PDF files to be opened by Acrobat reader.
>> >

>> First create a kdelnk file in ~/.kde/share/applnk for acroread along the
>> following line:
[...]
> This subject is KDE's weakest link in my opinion. I would modestly claim
> that I know quite a lot about UNIX and Linux, but I tried for an hour to
> get Gimp to fire up if I clicked an XCF file. I never did manage it, and
> looking at these instructions I can see why. This is ridiculously
> complicated. Are we seriously expecting a Windows user to type in that
> lot listed above and still claim that KDE is easy to use?
>
> A simple interface to link mime types to applications is badly required.
> I'm somewhat relieved to see that I am not the only one who can't figure
> it out.

There is in fact a very simple interface and I didn't type that stuff
by hand in the first place. For the purposes of getting it to work it's
the easiest to explain via e-mail and to cut and paste!

>> Then edit the mime-type application/pdf.kdelnk to have Acrobat Reader
>> as its default application.
>
> How do I do that last bit? Is there an application to do this for me, or
> do I have to edit some file by hand?

Use kfm, select edit-MimeTypes, left-click on application, right-click
on pdf.kdelnk and select Properties. Click on the binding tab, and
select Acrobat Reader as the Default Application.

Similarly you could have created a kdelnk file for acroread:
Use kfm, select edit-Applications, right-click in the window pane and
select New-Application. Name it acrobat.kdelnk. Right-click on the new
file and select Properties. Important items to fill out are:

Execute = /usr/bin/acroread
Comment = Acrobat Reader
Name = Acrobat Reader
add  application/pdf to the supported Mime-Types
you may also want to browse for a nice icon (I was using pdf.xpm).

I think this interface is quite natural and when you have used it once
easy to extend. I have used KDE and Linux for less than 2 months and
would therefore consider myself a novice. How did I learn about how to
do this? The documentation is on the web plus a little bit of trial an
error.

Andreas

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Coordinator of Mathematics