List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Compiling KDE programs with KDE running
From:       Sean Kendall Schneyer <Sean.Schneyer () kau ! se>
Date:       1999-04-29 14:37:28

dep wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Sean Kendall Schneyer wrote:
>
> |You are joking right? This is Linux, not winblows. The only time
> |you should need to reboot your machine is when you install new
> |hardware or when you upgrade the kernel.
>
> no, i'm not joking. i'm simply nodding to the fact that there are
> programs in linux that leak memory like crazy, and rebooting will
> free up all the resources, making for a quicker compile. there was a
> period of time when that was the *only* way i could get koffice to
> compile without running out of resources -- and this is with 128 megs
> of ram and 128 megs of swap.

What kernel version are you running? Exiting the programs that
are leaking memory will free up those resources. I have no problems
compiling koffice on my machine. And I compile it directly from
in KDE. In fact, I compiled it yesterday at the same time that
I compiled kdemultimedia, plus had netscape open, licq, and was
listening to music with x11amp. I have 160 megs RAM and only 64 megs
of swap. There should be no need to reboot your machine to release
the memory from a specific program.

// Sean
Sean Kendall Schneyer		Tel: +46 (0)54 700 20 29
Computer Science Department	Fax: +46 (0)54 700 20 60
Karlstad University		email: mailto:Sean.Schneyer@kau.se
S-651 88 Karlstad Sweden	URL: http://www.cs.kau.se/~sean/