List:       kde
Subject:    RE: Slogan
From:       "Markus Holzem" <markus () holzem ! de>
Date:       1999-04-16 8:06:03

A slogan for KDE should be formulated positively and without
any reference to Microsoft. A slogan like "where do you want
to go tomorrow" is funny at the beginning but no real "company
destination".

Good choices might be:

	* KDE - why pay for the best?
	* KDE - always improving
	* KDE - always evolving
	* KDE - free software for free people
	* KDE - the user centred desktop

A short comment on MS Windows flaming:

Microsoft was always the less good OS or interface - but
the better marketing. CP/M was better than MSDOS, OS/2 2.0
was better than Windows 3.1/95, but people sticked to
Microsoft nonetheless. Reasons are/were:

	* better marketing,
	* more important partners (IBM in the beginning), and
	* some very dirty tricks extending its monopoly - as the
	  trial against MS shows.
	* Germans can read the editorial of c't 8/99
	  http://www.heise.de/ct/99/08/003/

There is not much sympathy for a company like that...

Linux, KDE, and similar projects show, that free software

	* are faster evolving
	* have faster problem management (have you ever tried an
	  MS hotline?)
	* are more user centred due to frequent discussions on
	  mailing lists
	* ...

What is still missing is a easy installation routine for Linux
and KDE, but - as I've read on this mailing list - this is
something that is available in the near future.

Just my thoughts...

Markus
Markus Holzem Consulting - Usability, CHI, Ergonomie
mailto:markus@holzem.de
http://www.holzem.de