List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Kmidi question
From:       "Glen Ogilvie" <Nelg () geocities ! com>
Date:       1999-04-07 10:18:59

I had this problem too. This is how I resolved it.  ( I don't know if it is
how you are supposed to, but it worked!)

Firstly, log on as root.  Startx and try the midi player.  You should find
that it works. It did on my system.  If it does, then it is probably the
same problem I was having.

Start the terminal as root.

"cd /dev"
"ls -l dsp"

you should see the file permissions for dsp. Give dsp read and write
permissions for the normal user.  I just used

"chmod 777 dsp"

log on as your normal self and see if it has fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.  I am new to linux myself and this might not be the
official way to resolve the problem.  If anyone here knows a better way,
please do let us know.

Regards
Glen Ogilvie.