List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KFM cheating the user?
From:       Dave Nash <dave () gnasher ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-03-19 22:13:56

Andreas Pour wrote:

> Dave Nash wrote:
>
> > Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> > >

> > > But I agree that in a file manager I just want to see what's
> > > actually there, not what the program thinks I want to see.
> > >

> > This is really bad.  I am sick of MS doing this kind of thing, I never thought I \
> > would see it in KDE. Who is responsible?  Who can we lobby about this?
>
> If you read back through the kde-devel archive on this point, there was quite a \
> long public debate/discussion about how to make it easier for users to edit kdelnk \
> files,

So you have to subscribe to kde-devel, or periodically read the archives, to find out \
all the new features of KFM?

> On the merits of the issue, I think it would be nice if active directories had a \
> special icon for the folder (perhaps a gear in the middle of the folder) to \
> indicate that you are not getting raw data from the disk.  On the other hand, I \
> don't think anyone should be that surprised by this since kfm does a lot of things \
> that "ls" does not do, like show the mimetype of files, display html, permit \
> clicking on files to open them, etc.  In fact, with the use of a .kde.htmI or \
> index.html file any directory can become an "active' or "cheating" directory \
> (although there is an option to disable these).

The major point is that there are menu items for this.  It wouldn't be so bad if the \
menu entry for mimetypes showed ALL mimetypes, as long as "standard" file navigating \
to a directory, showed me what was really in it.  Or at least let me know I was \
seeing an aggregation from other files.

Dave

--
dave AT gnasher.demon.co.uk (ANTI-SPAM, replace AT with @)