List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Size of opt partition for kde
From:       Teodor Romeo Mihai <teddy () piercom ! ie>
Date:       1999-02-18 19:18:32

George Schoelles wrote:

> That sounds like an M$ work-around.  I think the question is very valid as
> to appropriate/ expected partition sizes.

M$ work-around? :) Ok, details follow...

I said 100-200Mb since it really depends on how many applications in KDE
are you going to have; my KDE dir is about 120Mb big, and I expect it to
get bigger, because I download and compile applications all the time,
but if I would decide not to use or install an office suite and other
[future] big applications you could probably expect 100Mb as upper
limit.

If you are asking why did I say "you can link at any time", well you can
usually switch virtual consoles in the middle of the installation, mount
whatever you need (after diskdruid creates the ext2 filesystems) and
link /opt/kde to /usr/local/kde  - if this is what you want. I haven't
seen the RH5.2 installation, but I suppose/hope that switching consoles
is still allowed. In the worst scenario, boot from a rescue disk, make
partitions, make filesystems, mount, link /opt/kde somewhere (if you
don't want to have it in root or in a separate partition for kde),
install linux. It's more complicated, but it works.

Regards,
 teddy