List:       kde
Subject:    Re: What can be done to accelerate KDE 1.
From:       Mario Weilguni <mweilguni () sime ! com>
Date:       1999-02-18 17:02:25

Am Thu, 18 Feb 1999 schrieb Calvin Bruce Ostrum:
>At 08:18 on Thursday February 18 +0100, Mario Weilguni wrote:
>| Am Thu, 18 Feb 1999 schrieb Mike Stoddart:
>| >But why do all the KDE base apps take up to 5Mb memory each?
>|
>| They don´t, I measured with kpm:
>| kpm: SIZE=2948, RSS=2948, SHARE=2308
>|
>| This means: from 2948 kb the application uses, 2308 are shared (or can be
>| shared) with other applications. So kpm is around 600KB in size, far less than
>| the 5 mb you said.
>
>How do you figure that?  When code is shared there is no

Simple. Between all KDE applications at least the following libraries are
shared:
libc (of course)
libm
libX11
libXext
libkdecore
libkdeui

libc is shared by (nearly) all programs, all other are shared between ALL KDE
programs. So you can say: "Application X uses VmSize-VmLib bytes".

>clear objective meaning to be assigned to a phrase such
>as "X takes up Y bytes of memory".  However, in searching
>for a substitute, using merely the non-shared portion of
>a processes code is not really acceptable.  *Someone* has
>to be considered responsible for the shared portion,
>after all.
>
>One can imagine a situation where processes shared code
>in pairs, so that as a crude estimate, the shared portion
>of the code took up half as much as summing the contents
>of the SHRD column would suggest.  If this were true of kde,
>kde would still be taking up a hell of a lot of memory.

Of course you can compute the size this way, but that´s very strange: suppose
you start a KDE-application A , the you can say it takes 3 MB. And now you start
another application B, now A takes ~1900 KB and B take 1900 KB. Now start C,
so A, B and C each take ~1530 KB and so on.

So I consider all these libraries as part of the operating system (another
sort of "shared" library), and do not count them. This may not be
completly correct, but I think it´s the best way to measure sizes.

Mario