List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE 1.1 under SuSE Linux 5.3?
From:       David Klemm <klemm () abacus ! at>
Date:       1999-02-18 13:26:08

Hi Paul,

i installed KDE on Suse 5.1 and recently on 6.0. Maybe I can give you some
hints:

First of all: Dont use the rpms! I learned (from various tries) that it is much
easier an faster to build it from the sources because this way gives you much
more control (where the stuff is put etc.) and make you independent to rpms
(which usually appear later than the tar-balls).

So this is my hints:

1. First deinstall all suse stuff that is meant for kde (use yast). This means:
if you installed any kde, qt etc. rpms via yast - deinstall them.

2. Check if you installed the C-/C++-Compiler packages from the development
series. You probably have.

3. Download the qt sources from ftp.troll.no.

4. Follow the instructions and compile / install qt.

5. DL the basic kde packages KDESUPPORT/KDELIBS and KDEBASE.

6. Compile and install them in this order.

Thats it.

I will try to help you if i can. Give me a mail.

P.S. Before taking the actions decribed above make shure, that your X-Server is
installed and setup corectly. This is described in the Suse Manual.