List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Qt for Mozilla?
From:       Andrew Morton <andrewm () uow ! edu ! au>
Date:       1999-02-12 4:25:14

Michael Reiher wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
[snip]

> > I'm ramping up on the knowledge which'll be required to do a QT2.x front
> > end.  Am I alone?
> Probably not. I recently read in a Mozilla newsgroup
> (netscape.public.mozilla.qt?) that someone asked about starting
> development of a real Qtfe for Mozilla, besides the Gtk one.

Yes.  The semi-official viewpoint from Netscape was that because mozilla
is to become a real product for paying customers they need to run it
through an extensive QA cycle.  They couldn't justify the cost of doing
this twice for Unix.  Fair enough.

Their stated reason for GTK+ over Qt was mainly because the GTK+ design
team were more supportive, active on the IRQ channels, etc.  THis seemed
more important than the licensing issue.

However I'd expect netscape to be sensibly supportive of a qtfe - if,
for example, small Qt/KDE-specific #ifdefs were required in the main
code base they'd probably allow this, even though they'd never compile
them.

> I also thought about hacking NGLayout into kfm:) But first only for my
> own interest, to see how hard it is.

Not too hard, but it'd take a concerted change of heart for the kfm
guys. As would a decision to remove HTML from kfm altogether, which may
be the best call...