List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Q: New features in kab wanted?
From:       Avus <top249 () g26 ! ethz ! ch>
Date:       1999-01-18 17:09:50

Mirko Sucker wrote:

> Avus wrote:
[...]
> > So can it be used by non-KDE programmes (say XEmacs) without linking to
> > the KDE libs?
>
> Hm. Hmmm. Hmhmhm. It would be possible to make it only link with Qt, that is
> the most basic library, it will not work without it. Lets see.

Maybe you can find a way around it. Anyway, it should be easily possible
to use it from other programmes not using Qt (remember KTk and other KDE
aware apps).
Offering a non-GUI layer for accessing the address data should be
possible without the need to link to Qt (just a guess, enlighten me:);
after all, it's just a database.

The reason why I'm emphasising that so much is that I'd like to see many
other, non-Qt programmes offering -at least basic- KDE functionality.
Having several address databases is a very tedious affair if you use
different mailers.
A common database, and a lib to access it would also be a nice common
denominator for the desktop projects...

Bye, and much fun on the airfield ;-)

Avus