List:       kde
Subject:    Re: When will it be possible to fully configure Linux via KDE
From:       Avus <top249 () g26 ! ethz ! ch>
Date:       1999-01-15 15:11:41

virtualaw@flesherfab.com wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Steen Rabol wrote:
>
> >If KDE/Linux should 'kill'  Windows, the user MUST be able to configure
> >everything through the nice KDE.
> >
> >For new Linux users - like me- it almost like hell to setup simple tasks
> >e.g.. how do I setup so that I can FTP to all parts of my Linux ?
> >
> >Best
> >Steen
> >

> The last I heard COAS, Caldera Open Administration System, will
> have a KDE interface.  Though I'm not sure if COAS is under
> any kind of real development.
>
> You should look to LinuxConf right now if you want GUI
> configuration.  Though I'm not sure there is an FTP module
> available for it.  FTP is *really* easy to set up.  You can
> choice it from SUSE or other distro at install time.

True, there are some nice config tools available. SuSE's Yast is quite
powerful, and there is also a tool with a web interface called WebMin
(www.webmin.com, for free but not free, in case that matters...).

But as Steen asked for a KDE tool, I see those possibilities:

1) Help out with the COAS development (www.coas.org)
2) Write a KDE GUI for Linuxconf
3) Combine and extend the existing KDE admin tools

In the third case I could imagine something like the K Control Panel,
just for system config tasks, e.g. ksyscontrol.
Then just drop in the separate tools as kscms (K System Control
modules).

Of course you could use kcontrol for that as well, but this would result
in a giant app.