List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Re[4]: The coolest Desktop in the world!!!!
From:       Jeremy Blosser <jblosser () firinn ! org>
Date:       1999-01-02 3:37:50

gwilli [gwilli@samart.co.th] wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jan 1999, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> >Interesting.  Might I ask what distribution you are running?  A few people
> >echoed your sentiments, but I've never had thix experience.  Almost every app
> >I've installed has run right "out of the box" as it were... the only
> >exceptions being obscure things and bleeding-edge stuff.
> >
> >Well, actually I did have that experience, briefly, when I first started.
> >Then I switched to Red Hat Linux, installed most of the -devel stuff when I
> >installed ("devel" is something of a misnomer... these packages aren't just
> >for develpment, they are the libs and header files a lot of programs will need
> >to compile),
>
> I think one of the biggest tasks that a newbie faces, is deciding which
> packages he needs to install. If you have limited space available to
> install Linux, you can't just install everything.  If you read the
> howto's and mini howto's, you might get an idea of what you need, but this
> information is something that should be made clear in a README type file
> at the top of the distribution tree.
>
> RedHat and others should make it clear that if you are ever going to
> compile any programs, you will need to install the "devel" packages too.

This is certainly true.  I can definitely see why a newbie would not think
they needed to install '-devel' packages if they aren't going to be coding
things.

I think it would be good if Red Hat would put together some default install
packages like the ones you often see on Windows programs -- 'default',
'minimal', 'all', 'custom' -- complete with explanations and memory
requirements.  One for the normal devel stuff you need to add programs, one for
the bare minimum to run the Red Hat stuff, one for everything, and one that is
like it is now.

You following this thread, Preston?  Should I mail this suggestion to someone
@redhat?

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/