List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE file system standards
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-08-31 17:22:54

Alex Stewart wrote:

> > The kde fsstnd is written with mulituser, multiarchitecture
> > heterogenious networked envrionments in mind.
>
> I have never yet seen a compelling argument why "flexible" has to
> also mean "painful".  I also see no reason why a more encapsulated
> organization (with symlinks if necessary) cannot function as well
> or better in such environments.

Since the whole Encapsulated file system argument is cropping up again
I would like to refer everybody to the archives as this has been
discussed to death.  Basically KDE runs on a large variety of systems
( Linux, *BSD and most of the proprietary unixes ).  These systems
all have different conventions about where different apps are supposed
to go and where do you put docs and system wide configs etc...

The developers figured to make it work OK across them all, it would
be best to have KDE encapsulated as essentially a single massive app
that keeps growing :).

You see Application positioning is a basic OS function.  KDE isn't an
OS by any means.  It is mearly a bunch of apps that runs on top of
various Operating Systems.