List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Trying to build from tar
From:       Doug Bercich <dougberc () gte ! net>
Date:       1998-08-30 16:13:00

King, Timothy wrote:

> As was recently recommended in this list, I am trying to build KDE from a tar
> file.  When I run "configure", it exits with:
>
> configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one
>
> I can see that there is a --host option, but I don't know what to specify for
> the host.  Here is the output of "uname -a":
>
> Linux dexter 2.0.34 #1 Fri May 8 16:05:57 EDT 1998 i586 unknown
>
> I not sure what is the last "unknown".  I'm running RH5.1 for Intel.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

The "unknown" is the processor type.  It can't figure out what you're
running, but it really doesn't matter for compiling KDE and Qt.  Note
that this is an additional parameter different from machine type - i586
from above.  The machine type represents what was selected when
configuring the kernel and compiling it.

uname works OK, but for more info on what your system detected:

	cat /proc/version
	cat /proc/cpuinfo
	cat /proc/meminfo

"uname -p" will of course produce "unknown" on your system, but
/proc/cpuinfo gives quite a bit more information.

As a wild guess, you could specify "i586-pc-linux-gnu" as a host type,
but I'm led to believe that something else is amiss with your system.
Do you have all of the development RPM's installed?

Redhat 5.1 also contains both egcs and gnu compilers, and you should
search the list archives for problems associated with using egcs.  Also
check Redhat for more info.  Off the top of my head, I think you can set
an environment variable to enable the use of the gnu compiler.
Something like "COMPILER=GCC" but I'm not sure.

Apologies to the list for this not being entirely on topic.

Good luck,
Doug