List:       kde
Subject:    KDM setup (was "help?")
From:       Tomas Furmonavicius <f1926 () kaunas ! aiva ! lt>
Date:       1998-08-30 9:37:04

Dave Musser wrote:

> I'll ask again.  maybe my original message was too long and people decided
> to skip it.
>
> What do I do to get kwm to start as my window manager?
> I cannot get kwm to give me anything but a gray screen.  I can get
> everything else
> to work through fvwm or fvwm95-2 but not if I try to use kwm as the window
> manager.
> I don't think it is even initializing correctly.

You are not the only one ;-)

Simple way:

create executable file .xsession (or .xclients, depends on distribution,
you can create both :-) ) in your home directory. These files must
contain one line:

startkde

(or maybe "exec startkde", don't know wich is better ;-)

Better way:

You must change system wide Xsession file (smth. like
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession, or maybe just
/var/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xsession).

There's lines looking smth. like this:

case $# in
1)
        case $1 in
        failsafe)
                exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
                ;;
        esac
esac

Change to smth. like this:

case $# in
1)
        case $1 in
        failsafe)
                exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
                ;;
        esac
	case $1 in
	kde)
		exec startkde
		;;
	esac
	case $1 in
	fvwm)
		exec fvwm
		;;
	esac
	case    ...
		add as many window managers as you want
esac

Change SessionTypes line in kdm config. file
($KDEDIR/share/config/kdmrc):

SessionTypes=kde;fvwm;... other wms...; failsafe;

Reset X

Now you must be able to choose window manager( including K desktop, of
course) in kdm window !

> also.. how do I get kdmdesktop to auto-execute.  I put 'kdmdesktop' in the
> Xsetup_o
> file (something the installation did NOT do even though the html docs say it
> does)
> but kdmdesktop does not work.

Add full path to kdmdesktop, smth. like:
/opt/kde/bin/kdmdesktop
By the way, kdmdesktop only sets background color or picture.

> All environment varialbles are set and set correctly.  kdm runs fine in
> place of xdm
> and all the apps work that I can tell.

Thats good !

> Dave Musser