List:       kde
Subject:    New Kid on the Block
From:       "Dave Musser" <dmusser () vinfo ! com ! au>
Date:       1998-08-29 0:51:36

Heyas..

First off.. my name is Dave.  I'm the new kid on the list.  Though I know my
way around Linux, I haven't much dealt with X-windows more than to set it us
so that I can run Xterm from my Win95 box (using Xwin-32).  But after being
battered with the 'word' about KDE I decided to install it and see if I
would be comfortable using it on the desktop instead of our favorite System
crashing alternative.  Soooo.. on with the show..

I've just recently installed the KDE to my Linux (Slackware w/ 2.0.35
kernel) System and have run into a problem.

Before going on I guess you should know how things are set up here.

My Linux box is just that.. a box.. no monitor or keyboard.
I have a Labtam X-Windows terminal on the network and a Liberty vt200
terminal.

X-windows version currently working is X11R6.

The rest of the systems on my network (this is a home network with 3 users
and
2 servers) are Windows 95 systems.  My system, in particular, runs Xwin-32.
This allows me to startup 95 .. do any tasks needed there... and then run an
X-Window terminal to do everything I want to do on the Linux system (like
develope code ).  Anyway.. On to the problem....

kdm starts up fine and gives me a login screen.. I've modified the kdmrc
file to
NOT give a list of users. and default to the kde session.

Currently the system comes up directly to fvwm95-2.  I tried to modify
the file to start with kwm.. but all I get is a grey screen.
Also.. while I'm thinking about it.. the documentation says a line
should have been inserted into my XSetup_0 file with kdmdesktop in it..
that did not happen.  I tried putting the line in myself (just
'kdmdesktop') both before and after the xconsole
message and it would not execute.  both csh.login and profile have been
modified in the /etc directory to include the library and bin paths.
I tired restarting with kwm and got a blank screen as well.

So what it comes down to is that I can't seem to use kwm in place of
fvwm/fvwm95-2.  everything works with just kdm running as my desktop
manager and all the applications seem to work fine as well.. I just
can't get kwm to work and I cant get kdmdesktop to do anything unless I
execute it from a shell.

If I can get the X-Terminal working.. I'm sure I can get everything to
work find from Xwin-32 as well.

Any suggestions/hints?

Dave Musser
dmusser@vinfo.com.au