List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Why NT is better than KDE/UNIX
From:       "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons () cpkwebser5 ! ncr ! disa ! mil>
Date:       1998-08-20 14:37:33

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> > I work with both NT and Unix on a daily basis and I find that NT is, in
> > general, easier to administer.  People may say this is because I am not
> > as smart as the true Unix administrator.  Ok perhaps this is the case.
>
> Or perhaps it's because you're administering either a very small site,
> or individual machines.
>
> And anyone who suggests SMS is the way to do wide scale NT admin is mad.
>
> Anthony, who was planning to to enter this thread, but just had to make
> one comment.
> --
> Send posts to:  kde@lists.netcentral.net
>  Send all commands to:  kde-request@lists.netcentral.net

Anthony,

  I don't personally manage the overall network where I work, but I work at
the U.S. DoD, Defense Information Systems Agency.  This is a global WAN that
is running almost all of its organizational systems on NT.  They went
through some growing pains implementing NT here, but now the system seems
relatively stable.  I normally don't use the NT workstation they provide me
for much else than an X-term into Solaris running the KDE.  I am going
through an MCSE program right now so I am seeing all the tools NT offers.
Perhaps I need to systematically go through the same type of program on
Unix/Linux so that I can learn what is really here.

I would still like to see an attempt made to create a cross-platform
integrated Unix management suit that looks and feels native to the KDE.
Some examples of what I'm talking about are:  I would like to be able to
right click on a directory and share it over NFS or SMB(using samba).   I
would like to see all the shares that are available in a given network just
by opening something similar to NT's network neighborhood.  The GUI event
viewer in NT is also a very nice tool.  I don't know
if it is possible to create something like NT's performance monitor that has
that fine grained detail in Uinx without modifying the kernel.

I know that everything a GUI does can be done by hand.  This is true of
NT as well as Unix.  The advantage to GUI tools is that they can often pull
functionality together in a way that makes figuring out how to accomplish a
task easier.  They can also help one remember how to do something.  Another
thing I would like to see in the KDE is a standard portion of the help
section you get when you click a "help" button that describes what files and
parameters are being edited by the GUI tool, and even pointers to more
detailed help.  I know all of this is a tall order, especially the part
about cross-platform tools.  This would require that a platform independent
view of Unix administration be created, and then this abstraction would be
mapped back to the individual flavors of UNIX.  There is no perfect way to
accomplish this because I don't believe you will find a one-to-one mapping
between Unix flavors in all aspect of administration.

I hope I don't appear to be babbling here.  I am trying to describe
something I have never seen, and which I don't know how to create.

Steve