List:       kde
Subject:    RE: startkde
From:       "David Nash" <dave () gnasher ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1998-07-19 13:35:58

> From: Vidyasagar Govind
> I am trying to install KDE in my RH5.I could not find the startkde script
> in the bin file like the documentation said.I finally found a
> kdestart-1.0-1.src.rpm at a site but couldn't install it although I
> followed the steps in the installation documentation.
> Where can I get a binary version of this file?Without it I cannot

Which packages have you installed and in what order?  You must install at
least the following:
QT
kdesupport
kdelibs
kdebase        <--- the startkde script comes from this one

Actually startkde is not a binary file it's a script.  You could always
create it yourself.  It should look like this:

#!/bin/sh

kaudioserver &
kwmsound &

kfm &
kcontrol -init &

kbgndwm &
krootwm &
kpanel &

kwm

But if you don't have it you probably don't have kdebase installed
(properly, at least) so you are going to be missing some other possibly
vital things too.

Dave Nash
dave@gnasher.demon.co.uk