List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Best linux distribution for KDE?
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1998-07-17 16:53:22

Steven R. Hatfield wrote:
>         Not to start some kind of religious war or anything, but considering all
> of the funky compiler antics that RedHat has been pulling for the last 2
> releases, the reported difficulties of Debian based distributions, etc etc -
> what is considered to be the "best" Linux distribution as far as KDE
> installation and "smooth running" is concerned?

Debatable issue.  I've got RH5.0 running here and haven't had any problems
getting KDE up and running on it.  I think the only hitch that I ran into at
all was when I wanted to install Beta-4 and had to recompile the QT libraries
myself.  Since the 1.0 release, however, haven't had any quirks with it at
all; downloaded all the tarballs, rebuilt, installed, and was up and running
smoothly.

Aside from the compiler quirks that RH has been screwing up on people, though,
I do have a personal preference for RH.  Theirs was the first distribution
that I tried with package management and it made enough of a difference that
I've stuck with it since RH3.0.3.  I will admit, however, that I am avoiding
the 5.1 release; both the latest versions of GCC (2.8.0) and EGCS admit that
their compilers are buggy and even have problems compiling kernels on some
machines.  Think it was a stupid move to include a "known to have problems
with the kernel" compiler in a full-fledged distribution.  Just MHO though.

--
Graham TerMarsch

// Who messed with my anti-paranoia shot?