List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing
From:       "Rod Taylor" <master () pureinternet ! on ! ca>
Date:       1998-07-16 2:53:32

>> > to go back to afterstep as a window manager.  Gnome, I know is light,
but
>> > its also kinda plain, and I wont have that either.  Fast, efficient and
>> > beautiful is the way.
>>
>> Did you really install GNOME? Or are you simply believing that it uses
>> less memory?
>>
>> Please compare the memeory consump[tion of kpanel and the GNOME panel
>> please and tell us what you did discover!
>>
>Just for the record: the GNOME panel does work as expected practically
>standalone, while kpanel needs at least KFM running to be of any use.
>Now one can really compare the memory footprint!  The kpanel is
>actually useless when run on it's own.  So please don't compare apples
>with oranges.
>
>As much as i sympathize with KDE, i see a major design flaw in the
>fact that KFM *has* to be running even for the most basic thing like
>starting a simple program from kpanel.  Something went very wrong here
>and i see major trouble coming up for KDE as a standard desktop if it
>can't be modularized to some more decent degree.  The way it stands
>now KDE is becoming more and more some resource hog especially for
>smaller machines.  Why can't the developers try use a 486DX/2-66 as
>the preferred reference platform?

I disagree... Sure KDE is a bit of a resource hog (but less than windows I
might add!).    Many other Window Managers cater to those with few
resources.   Finally someone is making one that's suitable for the people
with a half descent desktop workstation.  A P100 with 64mb ram can easily
handle KDE while giving us all the more advanced features and good looks
like you'd expect.

After all, you wouldn't run Windows NT over win95/98 on that 486 either...
But the choice to run NT is almost obvious for people with Pentium machines
with memory.

Thanks KDE for giving my 266mhz K6 with 128MB of ram something nice looking
and usable than light, plain, and quick.

I didn't notice any speed / memory problems...