List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing
From:       Randal Carpenter <wade () xwin ! net>
Date:       1998-07-15 7:13:05

Personally I agree with this.  He does have a valid point, and it should
not matter in the least who has what rights once its under the GPL.  I as
much as the next guy on this list like kde because it will give linux a
chance in the world of the non-technical user.  I in fact run it now as my
desktop, but after looking at the fact that kde 1.0 tends to still be a
memory hog (while not slow in the least anymore), I am once again
considering a lighter, more configurable desktop.  I am looking at at
least running afterstep on my laptop for instance, even though it runs
efficiently  on the 48M/133MMX in it, kde seems a tad heavy for the
portable (I may still run some kde apps on it, using the kde libs and qt
libs. My desktop pc OTOH has enough reserve power (dual pent pro 200,
128M) that I continue to run kde on it.  This is reminding me of the
delima I faced last time, when I (much more quickly) dropped enlighenment
to go back to afterstep as a window manager.  Gnome, I know is light, but
its also kinda plain, and I wont have that either.  Fast, efficient and
beautiful is the way.

Randal