List:       kde
Subject:    KDE Knowledge Base Planning
From:       Bryan Brunton3 <bryan-kde () flesherfab ! com>
Date:       1998-07-14 16:05:53

Software:

I downloaded ht://dig.  It looks like it could serve our purposes.
Although, I've noticed some people having cron problems with
it on a Red Hat box.  It works fine for me with little config time.

Hardware:

????

Anyone know if some of the official KDE sites like www.kde.org
would be willing to sponsor this?  It would be nice if we could
get something like search.kde.org.

I have a DSL line going in soon so I could put up a box as a
temporary measure.

Structure:

The typical search page with KDE graphics.  We should have a
option buttons where the user can search:

 + KDE on the Web
 + KDE Knowledge Base
 + Linux sites
 + All

The Knowledge Base itself would be items from KDE FAQs, articles
people could do for the Knowledge Base, submitted Q and A's of
a general nature. We should set up a submit form.  The KB items
would all be of a specific nature where you click on the reference
and are returned a Q and A, not an entire FAQ to search for what
you want.  We could structure the items on a numbered sequence:

KB item 1001 to 2000 = KFM FAQ
KB item 2001 to 3000 = Foo FAQ

How is this as a preliminary structure?