List:       kde
Subject:    RE: Forward of posting from RMS
From:       Bryan Brunton3 <bryan-kde () flesherfab ! com>
Date:       1998-07-14 15:12:57

IMO, RMS and all others who propose an interpretation
of the GPL that juggles which percentage of which distros
commonly distribute which "system files" in an attempt
to define the "norm" have completely no understanding of
what the open nature of linux would mean in a court of law.

No judge in his/her right mind in going to attempt a silly
study of the "norm" in this example.  Due to linux's open
nature the "norm" is almost whatever I say it is.  There can be
no empirical study of a "normal" linux installation.  The very
concept makes almost no sense.  Judge's, at least in the US,
hate to define "normal" and would see this immediately.  One
only needs to look at the recent MS anti-trust case to see how
little Judges want to touch defining a "normal".

This is not that conservative of a view point for anyone who knows
any judicial history.  RMS is just dead wrong.