List:       kde
Subject:    KMail & charsets - unofficial patch
From:       "Jacek Konieczny" <jajcus () zeus ! polsl ! gliwice ! pl>
Date:       1998-07-11 16:08:28

Hi,

It is said, bad kmail still doesn't have any charset support.
My previous patches broke kmail and now authors of kmail doesn't want
charset support before KDE 2.0.
Probably they have their reasons. But some people (like me) really need it.
So I decided to prepare unofficial patches and maybe unofficial RPM
distribution of kdenetwork.
There are unnofficial patches to Linux kernel, so why don't do the same to
KDE.

This is first 'alpha' release of this patch. But if all works fine I fill
release final version, maybe even RPMs.

WHAT DOES THIS PATCH GIVE

This patch enables and fixes charsets support in kmail. So it is usable for
people using something else than us-ascii and ISO-8859-1 (even ISO-8859-1
isn't handled properly (according to MIME) in "official" kmail)

It also changes the way messages are formated in reader window - using
"<PRE>" instead of those silly "&nbsp"

The first feature can be disabled by removing -DCHARSETS from Makefile.am
or Makefile.in.
The second by removing -DUSE_PRE

WHO NEEDS THIS PATCH

Anyone who intends to send or read mails containing characters exceding
ISO-8859-1. Even if someone was able to compose and read such messages in
"normal" kmail sent messages din't have proper header which might made them
unreadable for others.

You can also apply this patch if you just want to test it or you don't like
the way KDE formats messages in it's reader window.

Please do test it and send me your comments. If it is well tested it
may go to some bug-fix release of KDE.
And please remember this is alpha only (it should work anyway)

The patch is against todays CVS. I don't know if it will work with KDE 1.0,
KDE preX or anything else. And of course I would like to know. :-)

Greets,
      Jacek

PS.
  If someone doesn't like sending this to the list (it is only 1,4KB) maybe
I should find some other way.

--
!      ,  !            Jacek Konieczny, Gliwice, Poland            !