List:       kde
Subject:    kde newsgroup redux
From:       Christopher Cantwell <n5mxx () chattanooga ! net>
Date:       1998-06-27 2:41:27

Well, that was the idea..  a private newsgroup hosted on kde.org and kde
mirrors.  I know in Netscape you can set up multiple newsgroup providers.
You would set up one for "maillist.kde.org" or "kdemail.netcentral.net" or
whatever the news server host name is.  The kde news server host name would
be given to those who request to join the list (i.e., respond to
kde@lists.netcentral.net or e-mail from the kde web site).

I don't think anyone will disagree that newsgroup(s) are better for large
mail list discussions.  It's ironic that we have to inconvenience each other
with huge mail lists because of inconsiderate Neanderthals who effectively
render the Usenet system unusable with junk mail.  However, I think the
above method would minimize spam on the newsgroup.

Would this work for the kde community? I don't know how many kde mirrors
there are or if they would be willing to host a mirror of the newsgroup.

Thanks for your input.

Chris Cantwell
n5mxx@chattanooga.net

>> This mailing list is spiraling out of control.  My inbox fills up with
>> hundreds of messages from this group.
>>
>> How about setting up a kde newsgroup instead?  It could be set up on the
>> same server they're using now.  A newsgroup would be a lot better, as you
>> can just download the headers, and then specify which messages you want
>> read.  It would also be easier to follow a conversation thread.
>>

>Will the knowledgable people actually read and reply to newsgroup
>postings? I have place messages on newsgroup and all I received
>was either spam or no reply.

My assumption is that this group would be separate from the main system
operated
privatly between kde.org and other kde mirrors...

Otherwise, yes, spam will be heavy.  If it's private, then only the
knowledgable
people who wanted information on KDE will know it exists.

Keep the group out of the mainstreem usenet system!