List:       kde
Subject:    Beta 4 install info
From:       "Barry M. Caceres" <barryc () idea-center ! com>
Date:       1998-05-30 20:51:34

I am just completing a compile of the KDE and qt libraries on Solaris 2.6 for an
Ultra-5.
I came across some problems, and I thought I would share their solutions in case
anyone else
is having these problems.

First off, don't use CC/cc to compile.  Use g++/gcc instead.  This is because CC
(4.2) does not
yet support the initialization of a static constant class data member within a
class declaration.
Some of the code uses this and it will cause problems.  NOTE: QT will compile
just fine with CC,
but KDE (at least kdesupport) will not and you cannot link a g++ compiled KDE to
a CC compiled QT
library due to the different name mangling schemes (the linker cannot find the
the QT functions
within the QT library).

If you do not have gcc/g++ on your system then you can obtain binary versions in
package format for
Solaris 2.6 from http://www.sunfreeware.com/solaris_2.6.html.  This site is
great since you can
use the pkgadd utility to install the gnu utilities.  I used gcc/g++ version
2.8.1.

G++ bugs do be weary of
------------------------
The KDE and QT libraries all compile using the -02 optimization option of g++.
This option must
have some bugs since on some files it causes the compiler to dump out and on
others it causes the
compiler to into an infinite loop.  The easy fix is to remove this option from
all the Makefiles,
but this will make your window manager run a bit slower.  The better fix is to
let it compile as
must as it can, when an error or infinite loop occurs do the following:
	1. Use control-C to interrupt make if in an infinite loop.
	2. change to the directory where the error is occurring
	3. Edit the makefile CXXFLAGS/CFLAGS to remove -O2
	4. Make ONLY the target that failed (this may be foo.o or foo.lo)
	5. Restore the makefile to its original state
	6. return to the main directory
	7. type make again

In some directories this gets annoying because there may be quite a few files
which you will have
to edit the makefile for, but at least you know that most of the code is in fact
optimized.  Be
careful to make with the .lo suffix in some of kde directories since making the
.o and then
reverting the makefile will only cause the problem to repeat itself (i.e.: the
.o is made, but the
recursive make attempts to make the .lo which does not exist and then move it to
the .o file name,
since the -02 has been restored the .lo will fail again).

qt, kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase, kdenetwork, kdeadmin
Most if not all files compile fine.  With the exception of the -02 bug in some
of the above.

kdegames
--------
Didn't remember encountering the -O2 bug, BUT qt's "moc" program did go into an
infinite loop
when trying to make the ksnake game.  I simply replaced the "all" and "install"
targets in
ksnake to do nothing so that this directory would be skipped.

kdeutils
--------
generated makefiles in the "karm" directory had spaces at the beginning of some
lines.  These
spaces I replaced with a tab and the directory then compiled fine.

kdegraphics
------------
Could not get kdvi to compile--errors in makefile (unexpected eof at line 299).
I tried replacing all
spaces at beginings of lines with tabs and this still didn't help.  If anyone
has figured this one
out I'd like to know.  To work around I simply removed the "kdvi" directory from
the subdirs list
in the main makefile for kdegraphics.

kdemulitmedia
----------------
kmid and kmidi directories had problems finding needed include files in
/usr/include/sys (specifically
they needed sys/soundcard.h and sys/stdtypes.h).  I simply did not make these
directories (i.e: i
removed them from the SUBDIRS definition in the main makefile and everything
else compiled fine).  This
problem probably occurred, because I don't have any optional sound hardware for
my Ultra-5.

Well, I hope this helps.   If anyone knows why I can't build ksnake or what the
fix is for the kdvi
Makefile please let me know.  Thanks.

-Barry M. Caceres
barryc@idea-center.com