List:       kde
Subject:    Re: /usr/sbin
From:       Doug Bercich <dougberc () gte ! net>
Date:       1998-05-23 17:44:46

On 22-May-98 Jacek Andreas Matulla wrote:

<snip - for the other readers>

> Hi all again,
>
> I suppose that all these suggestions do not help. As the PATH is set
> right for
> KDE applications. It's just that KDE itself will not read the
> .profile? It's
> maybe KDM what's responsible for it. So KDE does not see the
> /usr/sbin and
> /sbin. I just tired to set the PATH manually and then in a Terminal
> /sbin and
> /usr/sbin were available after that but I still will get a Message
> from e.g.
> KSendFax when trying to send a Fax :
>
> /bin/bash: senfax: command not found
>
> even with that command available from a terminal window!
> So where would I make the KDE Applications see /usr/sbin and /sbin?
> The console will see all PATH but I have no idea where it takes it
> from as
> /usr/sbin and /sbin are NOT in /etc/profile and ~/.profile.
> Even with /sbin and /usr/sbin being in ~/.profile KDE will not read
> it! BTW I'm
> using RH 4.2.
>
> TIA
>
> Jacek

On Redhat 5.0, the /sbin's are set when the system starts up -
specifically in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.  I believe this is true in 4.2
also.

You can use the command "set" by itself and see how all of your
environment variables are configured, and this output can be piped to a
 file for reading later using the typical unix standard output stuff.
You can do this with the various X start up scripts to see exactly where
your enviroment variables are getting hosed.  It's also somewhat
educational to trace the execution that xdm (and kdm) uses.

Finally, as a last resort why not just source /etc/profile (or whatever
you're using) in your .xsession?  There is probably somewhat of a
security risk here, but that may or may not be
applicable to your own system.

Good luck,

 Doug