List:       kde
Subject:    RE: KInstaller?
From:       "Jim King" <jimk () hitchhiker ! com>
Date:       1998-05-12 14:45:39

> > Bleh.  First off it's a propriatery format anyway you look at it.  Stick
> > with tarballs.  At least then you don't need any stupid extra software.

So someone tell me what is so holy about tar that makes it impossible to
replace. Aside, that is, from the fact that mere end-users have problems
with it so you can keep your position of superiority because your users need
you to help them set up their systems. Plus, I've seen at least four
different programs for handling .rpm files, so I don't see it as any more
closed than .zip or .tar. Obviously SOMEONE found the spec for it.

> > P.S. PLEASE WRAP YOUR #$@#$!@#$^%$ LINES AT SEVENTY-NINE COLUMNS!

Oh come on! Get a decent reader that has this amazing new feature called
WORD-WRAP!

> Well I agree, just do somethg like vitual fs (like mc does) make a
> nice GUI around it and some control/unistall stuff and you've got it
> just my 2cent

You mean get extra software?