List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE at the office?
From:       Mark A Roberts <maroberts () dial ! pipex ! com>
Date:       1998-05-12 1:11:03

Me Again wrote:
> Does any one know if I can start introducing KDE to the desktop of the IT
> department of my employer (A major international bank) without having to
> purchase a qt licence.

As far as I can see from the Troll licence, the answer is yes, you can
freely use KDE as an environment without paying for any licenses. Just
don't expect any support either!!

The problem area is if you develop software which uses the QT library
AND you get paid for doing so -
even then you don't have to pay a licensing fee provided you meet
certain conditions.

Read:
http://www.troll.no/qtfree.html
http://www.troll.no/free-license.html
carefully for full details.
If you ARE developing software for your employer; I'd consider getting
them to buy a developers licence anyway; large companies are much
happier if they can get some support on products they use after you
leave/ your contract ends...

There used to be a kde_licensing mailing list which was concerned with
questions like these ..is it still active ?

  It's been tough getting them to start accepting Linux