List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Funky folder icon colors
From:       Cedric Tefft <cedric () earthling ! net>
Date:       1998-04-17 7:33:54

Sven Schmidt wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Cedric Tefft wrote:
> >Sometime between beta 3 and mid-March, the front half of the standard orange
> >folder icons has been rendered in grey (as if the folder were made up of two
> >separate pieces of paper -- one orange and one grey).  I've seen this on two
> >separate systems that use different video chips and different color depths
> >(one is 24-bit, the other 8-bit).  They are both RedHat 5.  Has anyone else
> >noticed this phenomenon, or is it just me?
>
> Yes, I have. They´re supposed to look that way (the orange is the inside of
> those folders) and I must say that I like them a lot.
>
> The whole iconset improved a lot (even though they weren´t bad at all to begin
> with) IMO. They´re both stylish and functional.

Hmmm... I don't think I've ever seen folders (real ones) that have different
inside and outside colors,  but I'll play along.

I don't have an artistic bone in my body, but I humbly submit this observation
to the list: It seems to me that it would make more sense to have the outside
of the folder be the "colored" side and the inside be gray.  The outside of
the folder presents much more surface area to the viewer.  As the icons are
drawn now, the grey of the outside surface of the folder dominates the icon
while the differentiating color is only a thin border.  Reversing this scheme
would retain the pleasing two-tone aesthetic quality while making the colored
folders more visually differentiable.

Let me put it another way.  If I say to you that I live in a blue house, do
imagine that I am describing the siding on the outside or the color of the
kitchen walls?

- Cedric