List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Loging On via X / KDE
From:       Kenny Lim <kenny () predawnia ! org>
Date:       1998-04-14 12:46:19

Hi! Don't ask the list as this is the most commonly asked question.
Everybody gets pissed off when this is asked. btw, the X/KDE is called
kdm and is the replacement for xdm.

You need the source for kdebase. You need to recompile again.

./configure --without-pam
make
make all

Once done, replace your inittab with this..

#id:3:initdefault:
id:5:initdefault:

then

#Run xdm in runlevel 5
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon
x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon

and save

next, make a .Xclients in your $HOME/ with the content "exec startkde" (don't
put in the quotes)
make .Xclients executable by chmod 755 .Xclients

make a symbolic link from .xsessions and .xinitrc to .Xclients by...

ln -s $HOME/.Xclients $HOME/.xsessions
ln -s $HOME/.Xclients $HOME/.xinitrc

Done!!!!!!

reboot...!!! and good luck!