List:       kde
Subject:    Re: kftp
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       1998-03-23 5:05:50

   Hi!

> From: Peter Dreuw <peter@tanztreff.com>
>
>  * To: Daniel Beckham <kde@fiwi02.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de>
>  * Cc: Peter_Dreuw@wing.gun.de
>
> On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Daniel Beckham wrote:
>
> > kfm is already a great gui ftp client.  You can browse anonymous ftp sites
> > with a flick of the wrist and drag and drop copy to your machine to boot.
>
> Well, I'd say, it's a ftp client but not great. Or does ist keep a
> connection open ? Can it use a proxy ? The last time I did ftp with kfm it
> seem to login any time I switched a directory. This is no fun within our
> LAN nor in the internet with slow connections.

As you describe it, there are some weaknesses in kfm (or better kioslave).
One is surely that it reconnects every time you change the directory.

But it would make more sense to me if someone tried to fix this, instead
of writing a brand-new ftp-client. The KProtocol class currently lacks a
way to keep connections opened. But we have the same problem with http,
since the modern http-specifications offer to keep the connection to the
server alive instead of breaking it after every file.

Or will then someone write a new fully featured www-browser for KDE, which
supports http-keep-alive?

I think there is a lot of reasearch to be done in KDEs virtual filesystems
code, to make it work better with archives, support caching down there
instead of in kfm itself, better support for parented filesystems, ...

But good transparent ftp support or transparent http support is certainly
worth more than two good programs you can use to use WWW or FTP.

  Cu... Stefan