List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Qt : Any danger ?
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () pop ! netaddress ! usa ! net>
Date:       1998-03-19 6:40:31

Bertrand Guiheneuf wrote:

> Hi, I'm very new to this list and could not find the archives..
>
> Still I have several questions about the relationships between Qt and KDE:
>
> 1) Is there an official and commercial relationship between Qt and KDE

no.  they just wrote a license the KDE developers could live with.
i.e.  Free for GPLd software.  This means that is the QT License was to
change tomorrow we would still have a year or 2 before the current QT
libs
become obsolete.  By then an alternative would be CREATED.

> 2) If not, the fact Qt is a commercial product does not seem to bother
>         KDE developpers. Isn't it contradictory to linux spirit?
>         I mean, if Troll suddenly decides to change it's policy and
>         stops distributing a free licence for X11, what happens to KDE?

See # 4 :)

> 3) Is there any plan to port KDE to other widget sets?

No.. They went with QT because no other wiget set was up to the task
at the time.

> 4) Is there any plan to write a KDE widget set - (Qt free clone)

Yes.  FreeQT or Harmony ( same teem and product ... different name )

> 5) Isn't it still time to stop using Qt and try developping a completely
> free environement?

no.  That would basically mean starting from scratch.

> I am very sad because I really think KDE is a great thing, but I don't
> want to give linux future to a commercial company, and I don't understand
> why KDE developpers don't seem to be as worry as I am.
> KDE would be so great if it was simply free as gcc is.

That would be nice ... however my observation has shown that certain
things
aren't readily developed to be truly free.  Wordprocesors forinstance.
Name 1 free WP that's in the league of StarOffice or Word Perfect 8 ?
With more developers in the Linux boat and better tools to work with
( like QT ), I expect to see more of this type of program appearing at
a sunsite mirror near you ( there is a KOffice under development and the
programers have become virtual shut-ins churning out code like a DJ on
Ganja

--
"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."