List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Qt : Any danger ?
From:       Darren Kelly <kelly () x4u2 ! desy ! de>
Date:       1998-03-19 12:53:56

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Bertrand Guiheneuf wrote:

> 5) Isn't it still time to stop using Qt and try developping a completely
> free environement?

I'm glad Qt combines free distribution and commercial distributions. I
hope this encourages software houses to develop applications for Qt. Not
all freeware is as well supported as KDE and Emacs/XEmacs. Consider for
example spreadsheets. The freeware X spreadsheets are simply embarrassing.
Again, the keyword is "complementarity". I'm sure Qt realises just how
many people on both sides are interested in Qt and will continue that way.
I'm very glad Qt offers the option of a professional licence, and their
product is no doubt better for their "professional" approach. And those
who wish to develop for freeware lose nothing.

> I am very sad because I really think KDE is a great thing, but I don't
> want to give linux future to a commercial company, and I don't understand
> why KDE developpers don't seem to be as worry as I am.
> KDE would be so great if it was simply free as gcc is.

Qt (and applications such KDE) is free. And more if you want it to be.

Darren

Darren Kelly					|	|	|
DESY -MPY- (Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron)	|     *   o	|
Notkestr.85					|  - D E S Y -	|
22603 Hamburg					|     o   *	|
Germany						|    /  O  \	|
						|	|	|
phone: 	+49-40-8998-4569			|		|
fax:    +49-40-8998-4305 <--Note change 	|		|
e-mail:	kelly@x4u2.desy.de			|		|