List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Qt : Any danger ?
From:       Squiz <squiz () squidge ! clara ! net>
Date:       1998-03-18 14:42:16

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Bertrand Guiheneuf wrote:

> 2) If not, the fact Qt is a commercial product does not seem to bother
> 	KDE developpers. Isn't it contradictory to linux spirit?

I don't see a problem here, Qt is free to download if you want to use it
to run KDE (or any othe Qt application) and is also free if you wish to
develope applications, so long as they are GPL, and you don't modify Qt.

> 	I mean, if Troll suddenly decides to change it's policy and
> 	stops distributing a free licence for X11, what happens to KDE?

You use an older Qt for a while that comes with a license that states it
is free for non-commercial use, whilst building some kind of qt-clone
perhaps? Personally, I don't think it will happen, it would ruin
Trolltech as they would never be trusted afterwards.

> 5) Isn't it still time to stop using Qt and try developping a completely
> free environement?

But Qt is free, unless you want to use it for commercial purposes. Since
most Linux software is GPL, I don't see a problem.