List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Qt : Any danger ?
From:       Knut Erik Hollund <khollund () silverstream ! no>
Date:       1998-03-18 11:28:29

I don't see why we should bother..

Read about it in TrollTech's faq
http://www.troll.no/faq/faq-freeedition.html

"....
What if Troll Tech stops releasing Qt under the Free Software License?

     We will not discontinue our strategy of releasing Qt free of charge
for development of free software.

     If you do not take our word for it, think a moment about what would
happen if we were to do this: Our reputation among thousands of
     developers world wide would be irreparably damaged in an instant.
People would start building Qt clones. Our business would be seriously
hurt.
     In short, we are not at all considering doing this.

     If you are still worried, consider this: Hypothetically, if this
were to happen, the Qt Free Edition License guarantees that the last
free version of Qt
     could be used indefinitely free of charge, for running and
developing free software. Furthermore, the free software community would
be able to
     fix bugs and continue development of this library: using C++
inheritance, workarounds, encapsulation, alternative widgets etc., the
license's
     requirement of not changing Qt source code can be honoured. Many
existing Qt free software applications do this already; see KDE, for
     example. It is our experience that this can be an effective
strategy; for the large majority of the bugs that have been reported for
various version of
     Qt, we have been able to suggest satisfactory workarounds.
"

Bertrand Guiheneuf wrote:

> Hi, I'm very new to this list and could not find the archives..
>
> Still I have several questions about the relationships between Qt and KDE:
>
> 1) Is there an official and commercial relationship between Qt and KDE
> 2) If not, the fact Qt is a commercial product does not seem to bother
>         KDE developpers. Isn't it contradictory to linux spirit?
>         I mean, if Troll suddenly decides to change it's policy and
>         stops distributing a free licence for X11, what happens to KDE?
>
> 3) Is there any plan to port KDE to other widget sets?
> 4) Is there any plan to write a KDE widget set - (Qt free clone)
> 5) Isn't it still time to stop using Qt and try developping a completely
> free environement?
>
> I am very sad because I really think KDE is a great thing, but I don't
> want to give linux future to a commercial company, and I don't understand
> why KDE developpers don't seem to be as worry as I am.
> KDE would be so great if it was simply free as gcc is.
>
> Any (not agressive) answer/comment would be greatly apreciated.
>
>         Bertrand.

SilverStream Norway Tech Support

Email...: khollund@silverstream.no
Support:support@silverstream.no