List:       kde-announce
Subject:    ANNOUNCE: kstartondesk
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1998-03-06 18:20:35

Hello,

I am very proud to announce the brand new 150-lines killer application in
the kdebase package:

                kstartondesk  ;-)

kstartondesk is a tiny tool which allows to launch applications
on certain desktops.

I still have no idea why this is useful, since the session manager
already restores application where they have been. But since people
requested this feature over and over again I hacked it together.
Anyway it would be nice if somebody could tell me a real reason,
why this is useful at all :)

Usage is simple. If you want a kcalc with Caption "Calc" started on
desktop 3, simply type

      kstartondesk "kcalc -caption \"Calc\" " "Calc" 3

The syntax is

      kstartondesk [-version] [-activate] command title desktop

Note that it is not possible to determine the process ID of a certain
window under X. So kstartondesk has to use the window caption
for this (similar to kpanel´s swallowing). For that reason the
title-argument must match the windows title exactly.

If the "-activate"-switch is set then kwm will jump to the specified
virtual desktop and give the focus to the new window.

kstartondesk depends the kwm windowmanager.

   Matthias
   <ettrich@kde.org>